Hey there friend, thanks for stopping by my blog!
If you love food, family and adventure, then you’ve come to the right place so have fun exploring and discovering what the Fun Size Aussie is all about!
As well as yummy food, I’ll share all the fun I have being a 20-something Aussie expat in the U.S., trying my best at this whole wife-thing (and soon, mother-thing) here on my Life & DIY page, as well as a sprinkling of our adventures as we use our spare time to jet-set across the world and roadtrip around the country on my Travel page.
Phew! There you have it, food, family and adventure. I told you there’d be fun!
WHAT WILL YOU FIND ON THE FUN SIZE AUSSIE?
Being raised in Australia means that I’ve had the opportunity to grow up with some of the best food that you will ever taste! Vegemite, meat pies, sausage rolls, jam filled donuts, fairy bread and Tim Tams (just to name a few) and I’m super excited to share my most favourite Aussie recipes with you!
Greek family recipes…
Guess what? I come from my very own Big-Fat-Greek-Family!
I was a Christopoulos before I became an Anderson so not only did I grow up eating the local Aussie fare but also a lot of homemade Greek food from my Yiayia’s (Grandmother) and my Mum’s kitchen. (That’s me and my Yiayia making Easter biscuits→)
The best part? We get discover all the cool stuff together!
I’m only just getting my Greek-cooking feet wet and I would love to share in these experience with you. Yep, there are definitely flops and failures but believe me when I tell you, it all boils down to tonnes of deliciousness and a new lesson learnt!
Everyday family food & life…
As a newlywed, I’ve been trying to learn how to manage a household but I’m still flying by the seat of my pants! Wanna fly with me?
I’ve made and keep making mistakes when it comes to homemaking and I’m still finding my groove. So hopefully in between laughing at me and crying with me, we could learn something new from each other and maybe you could give me some of your tried and tested advice?
(Please, please please give me some advice!)
SO, WHO IS THE FUN SIZE AUSSIE?
Well in short, it’s me! (No pun intended..)
I’m 4″11 and I’ve always been on the receiving end of people’s very observant comments about my height which is totally cool! I get it, I’m short, it’s cute.
However, I always stress this one point: I’m don’t consider myself short, I’m just fun size!
And that’s how the Fun Size Aussie was born!
So why this blog? I’ve always loved food and the connections we can make with others as we share a meal or a recipe; old relationships renewed, new relationships formed and new things learnt about ourselves. There’s something so magical about these experiences so I finally bit the bullet and created this blog to share and encourage more of them in my life and hopefully, more in yours!
Me in a nutshell:
Name: Nicole Anderson (formerly Christopoulos)
Height: 4″11 (or four foot nothing as I’ve been known in the past..)
Nicnames: Little Nic, shorty, short stuff, midgy, ‘good things come in small packages’
Birthplace: Adelaide, Australia
Living in: Salt Lake City, United States of America
Married?: Yes! To my amazing husband Nate since June of 2015!
Kids?: Expecting our first Baby Anderson in July 2016!
14 INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT ME…
1. My friends call me Nic and you can to, so let’s be friends! I’d love to hear from you!
You can contact me here.
2. I have a Bachelors Degree in Music (Jazz Voice Performance)
3. I married my best friend in June of 2015 and we’re expecting our first kiddo in July of 2016!
4. I am a singing teacher by trade and love music education.
I’m passionate about all education but really love to see how each student develops their inner voice and their confidence through music.
5. When I was a teenager, I was a presenter in a TV Show pilot.. Yeah, it didn’t really take off..
But my Mum likes to entertain guests with footage of this awkward time of my life (like my 16th birthday party..), at least I have that going for me!
6. I love my pug, Rosie! Unfortunately I couldn’t bring her over to America with me but I live vicariously through my family back in Australia and soothe myself with pug paraphernalia that my Mum sends me.
7. Nate and I have one crazy love story..
You can check out this video which pretty much shows us falling in love:
9. I was a professional jazz and hip hop dancer.
10. My Dad was born in Greece and both sets of my Grandparents emigrated to Australia so I grew up with my own Big Fat Greek Family but with just the right amount of Australian influence. I feel very blessed to have grown up in such a tolerant and multi-cultural country.
11. Yes, My Big Fat Greek Wedding does have some truth to it. I don’t have a lot of cousins named Nick but I do have a lot of cousins named Theo (and my brother is also named Theo!) And no, I’ve never had a lamb on the spit in my front yard…
12. I’m known in Greek as Nikolitsa.. Or more affectionately as my Mum calls me, Nicholas.
13. Nate and I love to travel! We better love to travel!
Here’s a snap from our Great Ocean Road tour of Australia in 2015:
I think we made something like 6 or 8 trips back and forth from Australia to America in a year while we were dating, not to mention Nate has friends in pretty much every corner of the globe. Although we consider ourselves frequent flyers, we also love to drive and try super hard to get a good road trip in every now and then, just to satisfy our craving!
14. I love rollercoasters! Dream fulfilled when we visited Cedar Point in Ohio where there’s rollercoasters everywhere!
One word: incredible!
I hope you find the Fun Size Aussie to be a place where you can find some inspiration for yummy family meals, lifestyle ideas (and fumbles) and travel tips! Feel free to drop me an email and say ‘HI’! I’d love to chat!